The Pre-Internship Post

June 6th, 2014 malutt15

Hello, everybody! My name is Melissa Luttmann, and I’m a classics major, class of 2015. I’ll be blogging this summer about my internship in the Corporate Communications department at Scholastic. This is the only post I’ll have time for before my internship begins–I start on Monday!

I spent my junior year abroad in Athens, Greece, which was amazing. I traveled all over the country, learned to speak some modern Greek, and ate a lot of amazing food! While I was there, I also interned at Repower Greece, an organization that’s dedicated to spreading positive messages about the country.

485

On top of Mt. Lycabettus, the highest point in Athens, with the Acropolis in the background.

I absolutely loved Greece and the people I met there, and I was so sad to leave. (I want to go back someday!) But Scholastic is an awesome place to be leaving for. I love children’s books; I’ve been writing middle grade and YA novels as a hobby for years. It’s natural to want to know what goes on behind the scenes when you’re a writer, so working at a children’s publishing house has long been a dream of mine.

Scholastic is also a name that conjures up lots of nice memories for me. In elementary school, I read their classroom magazines and bought countless titles from their book fairs. They’re also the people that brought you the Magic School Bus and Clifford the Big Red Dog, two of my favorite childhood series. This is a company whose work I’m really passionate about–which is a good thing, because as an intern in the Corporate Communications department, I’ll be helping to communicate all the awesome things Scholastic is doing to the media.

I hope you’ll enjoy reading about my experiences working at this amazing company and living at NYC. Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you once a week this summer!